Monday, February 5, 2007

Prelude to the Adventures

“Remember what Bilbo used to say: It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” --J.R.R. Tolkien

I like adventures. I am always excited to try things that are new, novel, and that test my limits. Here are a few of the more adventurous things I've done in my life:
  • Leaving school to write and sell genetics software while saving money by living out of a van.
  • Moving from North Carolina to San Francisco to find work at a computer startup and quickly taking a leadership role there.
  • Spending time on numerous challenging athletic accomplishments - running races, participating in triathlons, and backpacking throughout California and on the east coast.
  • Taking a year off work to travel, hike the Pacific Crest Trail, and make money playing Poker.
  • Experimenting with freelance software development with my company Adventure Support.
  • Joining Google as a software engineer.

While none of the things I've done are exceptional, I do think a pattern emerges - I find myself the happiest when I don't quite know what the day or year will bring. I would be an unhappy farmer, but perhaps a spirited hunter gatherer.

Some recent things that I have been excited about include:
  • My current work at Google. I have tons of respect for what the company is doing, and the fact that I can affect so many people there.
  • Triathlons. I've been doing some triathlon training in hopes of doing a half Ironman next year
  • Kiteboarding. I really want the season to pick up so that I can get better at this insanely fun sport.

I'll be blogging about these intentions, as well as other ideas, so stay tuned.

1 comment:

Peyton said...

Hey Nassar!

I saw your birthday was around the corner and thought I would track you down. Past few years I tried Google'ing you and never could find you; but this year success!

Send me an email and let's talk. I have a blog too but not as cool as your's: accphotos.com/blog